New York State providers boating safety certificates to those people who successfully complete a New York State Safe Boating Classroom Course. Boating Safety Certificates from several online course providers are approved for New York State residents.
Education is mandatory for all personal watercraft (PWC) operators. All personal waterfcraft operators must successfully complete an approved boating safety course before they can operate a PWC on any waters of New York. All PWC operators must be a minimum of 14 years old - no one under the age of 14 may operate a PWC.
Boating Age Requirements
Persons under 10 years of age:
Not able to operate a boat alone. Students mst be at least 10 years to take a boating safety course.
Persons born after May 1, 1996:
Must be at least 10 years of age and have proof of successful completion of an approved boating safety course or...
Must be under the direct supervision of an adult over the age of 18 who holds a boating safety certificate, or any adult born before May 1, 1996, or...
If the operator is the owner of a recently purchased vessel, he or she may operate the vessel without the otherwise required boating safety certificate for a period not exceeding one hundred and twenty days from the date of purchase. The provisions of this subdivision do not apply to persons who meet the following criteria:
- Born before April 30, 1996
- Certified by the commissioner as boating safety instructors
- Members of the United States Power Squadrons
- Members of the United States Coast Guard Auxillary
- Holders of public vessel licenses pursuant to section 64 of this article; police officers, peace officers, fire personnel, rescue personnel or lifeguards, when any such person is acting pursuant to assigned duties; or licensed to operate vessels by the United States Coast Guard or the Canadian Coast Guard
The commissioner, by rule or regulation, may provide the exemption of additional persons not listed in this paragraph from the requirements of this section.